Re: Usability of the GTK+ 2 file open dialog

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 15:45 -0500, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> Michael L Torrie wrote:
>  > Really under Windows, GTK ought to be using the win32 file selector
>  > instead of it's own one.  That's what users expect.
>
> Is it really ok for users to expect that ?

Yes.  Any other assumption is silly.  We're talking about writing
windows programs for windows.  The fact that we have the WIMP theme
trying to make GTK look like a real windows gui toolkit indicates that
this has been the desire all along.

> Will they continue expecting that when they install there very own
> free GNU/Linux system with a GNOME desktop and toolkit ?

The migration argument is bogus in this case.  I doubt 99% of GTK on
Windows users really care about this, except that really migration is
simply about having the same apps available on multiple platforms.

> I think that everyone on this thread has great ideas about
> usability and everything... lets all get together and make
> GTK+'s file chooser the most kickass file chooser ever !
>
> I can see it now... windows users will demand that applications
> be ported to GTK+ just so they can use the kickass file chooser...
> and then who knows ?

That would be great.