Re: MDI (not winMDI) frameworks ... again

Tim wrote:
Regarding MDI, I still see many apps that are being developed that don't have MDI support and they really need it. A good example is BBEdit on Mac. I don't use this app because it's just too hard to manage the multiple sources I have open at one time to do my coding.

You might try out the BBEdit 8.0 demo just to take a look at how they're now doing it: you can combine multiple open documents into one window, with a drawer containing the list of files in that window to pick from.

Compared to tabs in gedit et al I find it pretty awkward for two or three files (the drawer's so big!) but pretty nice for a hundred files, where I can actually see thirty or so filenames at a time even on my little PowerBook screen... Tabs along the top in gedit become impossible to navigate after just a handful of open files, and document menus don't have scroll bars.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)