Re: MDI (not winMDI) frameworks ... again

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 07:37, Tim wrote:
> Cool! I saw that Code Tek had a hack for this but having a lower level
> hack is for sure the way to go.
>
> Regarding MDI, I still see many apps that are being developed that don't
> have MDI support and they really need it. A good example is BBEdit on
> Mac. I don't use this app because it's just too hard to manage the
> multiple sources I have open at one time to do my coding. Thankfully
> X-Code now supports languages that I hack in like JavaScript.
>
> Hopefully we can see such MDI frameworks coming to the GTK core level or
> even on OSX some day.

OS X will never have an MDI system because it just doesn't need it
(besides it would violate Apple's HIG).  Having many application windows
open can be a big usability problem.  OS X solves this by making
Command-tab switch between applications and Command-` switches between
windows in the current app.  This makes it quite usable.  On linux,
however, alt-tab just switches between windows.  This can be a problem.
It would be a difficult problem (because of how X works) to do similar
in-app switching on linux.  On the other hand, most people I know run
apps like the Gimp in it's own virtual desktop.

Anyway.  Food for thought.

Michael