Re: MDI (not winMDI) frameworks ... again

Brion Vibber wrote:

Tim wrote:

Regarding MDI, I still see many apps that are being developed that don't have MDI support and they really need it. A good example is BBEdit on Mac. I don't use this app because it's just too hard to manage the multiple sources I have open at one time to do my coding.

You might try out the BBEdit 8.0 demo just to take a look at how they're now doing it: you can combine multiple open documents into one window, with a drawer containing the list of files in that window to pick from.

I guess those bbedit guy's actually listened to the nasty gram that I sent them over a year ago mentioning that I don't use their product because it does not include this feature. Maybe time to take another look.

You are right though, the drawer is pretty useless unless you are looking at multiple files. I prefer the drawer style that NoteTaker has for their outliner app where they post multiple data structures in the drawer. This makes it more worth while wasting window space.

I still do prefer X-Code's implementation though and I'll probably stick with it for my mac hacking (which has stopped to a standstill down since my hard drive crashed on my iBook :(