Re: Pango 'feature'...

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 04:49:11PM +0200, Lionel Ulmer wrote:
> For example, on Windows, if I take Courier New, do two lines one in Bold the
> onther in Plain, they have both exactly the same size.

If so then courier new just happens to have the same metrics for
regular and bold - nothing says a font has to do that.

>  Another example is the 'bold' feature in XTerm or in any other X
> Terminal emulators : you have emboldened fonts which have exactly
> the same height / width than the plain font (otherwise your terminal
> window would look like crap).

xterm/gnome-terminal/etc. don't use the bold font - they just draw the
regular font twice, the second time at an offset.

> So maybe I shall put the question in reverse : how can I do this :-) ?

To guarantee same metrics for bold, I think you have to do the
terminal emulator draw-it-twice hack.

Havoc