Re: PROBLEM: Can't compile Gtk+-1.3.4

<skip pobox com> writes:

> I think that is the crux of the matter.  I doubt the Gtk designers expect it
> to be a library used by novices, at least not directly, and certainly not at
> the current stage of 1.3.x development.  (I don't think I'm not putting
> words in anyone's mouth with the previous statement.  If I am I'm sure
> somebody will speak up.)  If you are expert enough to try to compile it
> yourself, then the assumption is you're expert enough to understand what
> goes on under the covers during installation and adjust accordingly.  If
> that doesn't fit your situation, perhaps you would be best sticking to
> binary packages available from the various Linux distributors for the time
> being.  I'm sure it won't be long before one or more of them start shipping
> 1.3.x in some flavor.

Yes, that's more or less correct. If we made 'make install' do
anything different for novices, it would break things for people
making packages (RPMs, etc.) Our target audience for 'make install' is
really UNIX-dweebs. Though we do try to have really informative error
messages, as in this case, you did get a pretty informative message,
though it fell short of replacing 'man ldconfig', since 'man ldconfig'
exists I think that's appropriate...

Anyhow, we have Red Hat 7 RPMs ready to roll with 1.3.5, so at least
some people can be free of 'make install' excitement.

Havoc