Re: PROBLEM: Can't compile Gtk+-1.3.4

Otto Wyss wrote:

Sorry to ask such a silly question but I'm stuck again. After
successfully compiling Glib-1.3.4 and after finally successfully
compiling Pango-0.15 I can't configure Gtk+-1.3.4. When I use
"./configure" I get:

	[...]
	checking for GLIB - version >= 1.3.4... no
	*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
	*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
	*** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
	*** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
	[...]

Why this error, Pango seems to find Glib? I used "ldconfig" but it
didn't help. Do I have to edit "/etc/ld.so.conf" first and if how? I'm
doing this on a Debian woody system i386. I copied all *.pc file from
Glib and Pango to the pkgconfig directory.

Most likely it's b/c ./configure is looking for glib-config in /usr/bin and it can't find it there. Mine was installed in /usr/local/bin. Although some people have advised against it I put both versions (for old glib and new glib that i had just compiled) of glib-config in /usr/bin and renamed them by putting the version number after the filename. Then i made a symlink called glib-config to the newer version. Here is what a directory listing looks like to show you:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root /usr/bin/glib-config -> /usr/bin/glib-config-1.2.8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  /usr/bin/glib-config-1.2.6
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  /usr/bin/glib-config-1.2.8