Re: PROBLEM: Can't compile Gtk+-1.3.4

Glitch <brandon ovnet com> writes:
> Otto Wyss wrote:
>
> > Sorry to ask such a silly question but I'm stuck again. After
> > successfully compiling Glib-1.3.4 and after finally successfully
> > compiling Pango-0.15 I can't configure Gtk+-1.3.4. When I use
> > "./configure" I get:
> > 	[...]
> > 	checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
> > 	checking for GLIB - version >= 1.3.4... no
> > 	*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
> > 	*** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means
> > 	*** that the run-time linker is not finding GLIB or finding the wrong
> > 	*** version of GLIB. If it is not finding GLIB, you'll need to set your
> > 	[...]
> > Why this error, Pango seems to find Glib? I used "ldconfig" but it
> > didn't help. Do I have to edit "/etc/ld.so.conf" first and if how? I'm
> > doing this on a Debian woody system i386. I copied all *.pc file from
> > Glib and Pango to the pkgconfig directory.

Did you look at the config.log errors? Did you look at
/etc/ld.so.conf?

ld.so.conf is just a list of directories where you've installed stuff,
in this case if you didn't pass a prefix to configure, add
/usr/local/lib to ld.so.conf and run ldconfig to reload ld.so.conf.

Don't move the .pc files, just set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to include their
location. Otherwise you may get problems later with multiple .pc files
for the same library.

> Most likely it's b/c ./configure is looking for glib-config in
> /usr/bin and it can't find it there.

configure for 1.3.4 isn't looking for glib-config at all, it's using
pkg-config. There's no glib-config involved.

> Mine was installed in
> /usr/local/bin. Although some people have advised against it I put
> both versions (for old glib and new glib that i had just compiled) of
> glib-config in /usr/bin and renamed them by putting the version number
> after the filename.

Wouldn't it be easier to put /usr/local/bin in your PATH? ;-)

We were sitting around the office trying to figure out why people move
files all over the place and make symlinks left and right instead of
using PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, ACLOCAL_FLAGS, and all
these other labor-saving environment variables...

If you use the env variables, you won't get a file system cluttered
with unmaintainable gunk, and files will be properly replaced when you
install a new version.

My glib/pango/gtk is installed in my home directory, with no
modification of the filesystem whatsoever outside of my own homedir.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH avoids even the ld.so.conf mess.

Havoc