Re: PROBLEM: Can't compile Gtk+-1.3.4

    Otto> I don't want to fiddle around with libraries unless I'm forced. I
    Otto> thought (maybe wrongly) the make install takes also care of
    Otto> linking a compiled library....  This is probably not the best way
    Otto> to do it and an expert would choose another approach but for a
    Otto> novice it would be suffice.

Otto,

I think that is the crux of the matter.  I doubt the Gtk designers expect it
to be a library used by novices, at least not directly, and certainly not at
the current stage of 1.3.x development.  (I don't think I'm not putting
words in anyone's mouth with the previous statement.  If I am I'm sure
somebody will speak up.)  If you are expert enough to try to compile it
yourself, then the assumption is you're expert enough to understand what
goes on under the covers during installation and adjust accordingly.  If
that doesn't fit your situation, perhaps you would be best sticking to
binary packages available from the various Linux distributors for the time
being.  I'm sure it won't be long before one or more of them start shipping
1.3.x in some flavor.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com)
(847)971-7098