Re: PROBLEM: Can't compile Gtk+-1.3.4

    Otto> I did look at ld.so.conf but I wasn't sure how to change
    Otto> it. Adding /usr/local/lib and running ldconfig solved the
    Otto> problem. Could it be possible to print this library path in the
    Otto> error text. So I might have been able to fix it myself.

When install actions install .so or .a files that they execute "ldconfig -n
directory", which emits a verbose message about what happened.  Here's an
example from installing pango:

    PATH="$PATH:/sbin" ldconfig -n /usr/local/lib/pango/modules
    Libraries have been installed in:
       /usr/local/lib/pango/modules

    If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
    in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
    specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
    flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
       - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
	 during execution
       - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
	 during linking
       - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
       - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

    See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
    more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

That's about the most the install process can reasonably do on your behalf.
Many people (myself included) install stuff in /usr/local as a non-root
user.  Even if I did install as root I wouldn't want the install process
mucking with /etc/ld.so.conf and running ldconfig on my behalf.

--
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com)
(847)971-7098