Re: PROBLEM: Can't compile Gtk+-1.3.4

>     Otto> I did look at ld.so.conf but I wasn't sure how to change
>     Otto> it. Adding /usr/local/lib and running ldconfig solved the
>     Otto> problem. Could it be possible to print this library path in the
>     Otto> error text. So I might have been able to fix it myself.
>
> When install actions install .so or .a files that they execute "ldconfig -n
> directory", which emits a verbose message about what happened.  Here's an

I don't want to fiddle around with libraries unless I'm forced. I
thought (maybe wrongly) the make install takes also care of linking a
compiled library. Otherwise it would be nice if there are enough
information so a simple minded person as I are able to do it. I'm 90%
sure I would have solved the problem myself if there was a text "... add
<glibpath> to ld.so.conf ..." in the error text of the ./configure (of
course <glibpath> should be replaced with the actual path). This is
probably not the best way to do it and an expert would choose another
approach but for a novice it would be suffice.

O. Wyss