Re: Advanced gtk_file_selection widget

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000, Michael Vanecek wrote:

> Can I assume you're the maintainer of the original file selection
> widget?

I'm afraid I'm not, I'm just a guy that got fed up with the general
crappiness of the original widget (together with the rest of SigUnix @
UIUC). and didn't learn of the other advanced filesel until we were well
underway.

> Perhaps the people authoring the advanced_gtkfilesel and
> yourself could get together rather than have a "let the best dialog
> win". The work they've done so far is certainly impressive and still
> very much similar to the original since it's basically the original
> widget extended and enhanced. They've gone a long way in keeping the API
> the same so no applications would be broken. I'm using their latest
> version and have suffered no confusion whatsoever and from the looks of
> it, altering it to look for certain file extensions automatically
> depending on the app (like Abiword looking for just the files it can
> handle or Gimp looking for just the images it can edit) looks to be a
> simple task...

Yes, the "let the best dialogue win" bit was silly.  I'd be happy to get
either new one, and perfectly willing to add the few things our version has
to the other one (things like a persistent file history, retaining file
list position, application-specifiable named wildcards, letter-based
scrolling of file lists etc).

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg