Re: Advanced gtk_file_selection widget

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000, Michael Vanecek wrote:

> http://students.cs.byu.edu/~torriem/gtk/ and specifically
> http://students.cs.byu.edu/~torriem/gtk/files/advanced_gtkfilesel-0.2-1.i386.rpm
> (you need to log off and log back on after installing for it to work - it
> just provides a PATH to it rather than the original widget which remains
> intact, just unused) is a pretty cool file selection widget I hope ends
> up in the base Gtk distro. I especially like being able to choose the
> file mask - many of the directories I have are full of files of different
> types and trying to pick out a particular type in the mess can be a pain
> - with the new widget all I do is type the extension with a wildcard and
> hit enter and all the files with that extension show up - ie *.jpg -

There's a thing about that -- I prefer that the program can set the
wildcards (and that the program has a bunch of standard wildcards to draw
on).  For instance, a wildcard to catch all jpg's would actually have to be
*.[Jj][Pp][Ee]?[Gg], and I don't want to type that in every time.  We're
working on adding such a filter to our version.  We've tried to stick very
close to the old dialog to avoid confusion.  May the best dialog win:)

-Lars

--
Lars Clausen (http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause) | Hårdgrim of Numenor
"I do not agree with a word that you say, but I    | Retainer of Sir Kegg