Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk & Qt

On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Scott Goehring wrote:

> Joel> I just do not like people telling
> Joel> me what I should and should not use.
>
> Like the KDE developers who have recently claimed that "GNOME should
> just develop a Qt-compatible toolkit"?  KDE thinks that GNOME should
> use Qt, or something like Qt, and that we're stupid and crazy for
> using Gtk.

	While I obviously cannot have seen everything written on this
subeject, it is my impression that the KDE developers would just like some
cooperation on this.  They in no way want Gnome to be Qt.  They would like
a cooperative venture on things like DragNDrop, which are toolkit
independant.  That way KDE and Gnome can not only coexist (they do that
already), but they can work together.
	My impression is that KDE would like to work with Gnome, while
Gnome would like to stamp KDE out.  It is this non-coexistance attitude
from the Gnome camp that I don't like.
	As for toolkit selection, I like KDE better than Gnome (mostly for
the window manager...), and I much prefer GTK+ to Qt.  So whose side
should I be on?  I say both.  I am going to use KDE as my desktop
environment, and write what software I do in GTK+.  And use whatever
software, with whatever toolkit, that I like.

Joel

--

"Hell is other people."
        - Jean-Paul Sartre