Re: [gtk-list] Re: Gtk & Qt

On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> > Public Licensed, GNU Library Public Licensed, or a third GPL like
> > statement (it's shorter).  What makes it different from the GPL is that
> > you cannot sell it and you CANNOT modify Qt.  A GPL'd library can be
>
> Which makes it incompatible with GPL/LGPL. Which doesn't matter perhaps

	How?  Qt is not GPL.  Only your code is GPL.
	As for Kimp, Kemacs, and whatnot, I think it is pretty foolish to
do so.  Spencer Kimball (one of the original authors of Gimp, for
those who don't know the name) made a very good argument. He felt that
Kgimp, etc, would be a losing battle, trying to keep up with Gimp
development.  He said that instead the KDE porters should patch Gimp so
that there would be a --with-kde configure option, to compile KDE session
support, etc, into the existing Gimp.
	Myself, I don't use ANY KDE apps.  Just KDE itself as a window and
session manager.  Why?  Because most of the KDE apps (like Gnome apps at
this stage) are trivial, alpha, or both.  Gimp, Xemacs, Xfig, and all
sorts of free software are out there.  And I refuse to limit my choice of
software based on my choice of desktop, you know?
	You are correct, and we have already mentioned it here, that for
base functionality, you would have to subclass EVERY class in C++.  For
such things, it would be unfeasable.  I agree.  But that doesn't mean I
shouldn't use the best window manager I have found (IMHO).
	I am not against Gnome.  I am upset by the people who are against
KDE.  Or against anything.  If they do not like it, they do not have to
use it.  I don't like scheme/lisp.  Do I tell people not to use it?  Nope.
I just don't use it myself, except where I have to (.gtkrc, .gimprc :-).

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #99

	"Think big thoughts, but relish small pleasures."

                                  jlbec@ocala.cs.miami.edu
                                  gr311@cleveland.freenet.edu
                                  http://ocala.cs.miami.edu/~jlbec