Re: Gtk & Qt

Joel Becker <jlbec@ocala.cs.miami.edu> writes:

> On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Scott Goehring wrote:
>
> > Joel> I just do not like people telling
> > Joel> me what I should and should not use.
> >
> > Like the KDE developers who have recently claimed that "GNOME should
> > just develop a Qt-compatible toolkit"?  KDE thinks that GNOME should
> > use Qt, or something like Qt, and that we're stupid and crazy for
> > using Gtk.
>
> 	While I obviously cannot have seen everything written on this
> subeject, it is my impression that the KDE developers would just like some
> cooperation on this.  They in no way want Gnome to be Qt.  They would like
> a cooperative venture on things like DragNDrop, which are toolkit
> independant.  That way KDE and Gnome can not only coexist (they do that
> already), but they can work together.

> 	My impression is that KDE would like to work with Gnome, while
> Gnome would like to stamp KDE out.  It is this non-coexistance attitude
> from the Gnome camp that I don't like.

I _really_ don't want to contribute to this thread, but I'll
just say that I've seen no evidence of such asymetry of
attitudes.

And there is, in fact, cooperation going on in DND - GTK+ and
Qt will most likely support a common DND protocol in the
near future.

But:

 - Interoperability between Qt and GTK+ would be on-topic for this
   list. "Qt has feature X, could we add it to GTK+" would be
   on-topic.

 - GNOME vs. KDE politics is completely and utterly off-topic.
   Please (_please_) do not continue the discussion here.

Regards,
                                        Owen