Re: regarding all the possible functions that can be assigned to PangoCairoShapeRendererFunc func

On 09/10/2012 02:01 AM, Parth Kanungo wrote:
>     Note that Pango doesn't really implement font variants. Italic, bold, stretch
>     etc should work as far as fonts are available. Italic and bold are
>     synthesized if not available, but not stretch or other properties.
>

> On second thoughts... did you mean that italic and bold are to be synthesized
> manually by writing code ?
> I mistook your statement as, "Italic an bold are (automatically) synthesized
> if not available."

The "automatically" is what I meant.  Though, really, I have no idea what
happens on Windows, but it was my expectation that the pangoft2 backend should
work the same independently of the platform.

> In that case, do I use FT_Bitmap_Embolden to help me with bold and
> transformation in PangoMatrix  for styles ??

Not really.  It's supposed to be handled by pangocairo automatically.  Which
reminds me that you are using pangoft2 itself, not pangocairo-fc.  In which
case, yeah, I think pangoft2 is simply incomplete.  I don't think anyone will
ever finish it.  Try to use pangocairo instead.  That's pretty much the only
supported backend these days.

behdad