Re: regarding all the possible functions that can be assigned to PangoCairoShapeRendererFunc func

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM, John Ralls <jralls ceridwen fremont ca us> wrote:
I'll cut right to the chase: No, you're wrong on two counts. First and most important, you can't compare FT2 and Cairo. FT2 is a font-metrics provider, like CoreText, Xft, and Win32. Cairo is the drawing engine that sits between Pango and the OS's Windowing system (X, Quartz, Win32, HTML5, etc.). Pango gets the codepoints and font designation and attributes from the client program, then retrieves the font metrics from the (eg) FT2 backend for the glyphs that it needs to render, and then uses Cairo Rendering to draw them on a Cairo Surface for display.

You second error is believing that ShapeRenderer draws modified faces. It doesn't. It can't, because it doesn't take font metrics as an input. Read the Text Attributes section [1] and note PANGO_ATTR_STYLE, PANGO_ATTR_WEIGHT, and PANGO_ATTR_VARIANT.

So, to answer your "simple question", apply the appropriate attributes to your text. The easy way is to use the provided markup language [2].
[2] http://developer.gnome.org/pango/stable/PangoMarkupFormat.html

Thanks for pointing out the errors in my understanding, John.
I will take a look at the markup language and see if it resolves my problem.

--
PangoLearner