Re: Malayalam & SF_PROCESS_ZWJ

Hi Behdad,

On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 15:45 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> Unfortunately there's not been much justification I'm afraid :(.  The
> Indic shaper is by all means unmaintained.  So I just let all interested
> parties discuss and come up with patches and when they seem to agree,
> I'll commit.  I know that at some point we will need to revert much of
> those changes...

I empathise. ;-) To make matters more complicated the goal posts (indic
standards) keep moving. I've been trying to get more information on MS's
changes to the OT spec for Indic scripts in Vista, but Paul hasn't been
very forthcoming.

> Anyway, I'm probably going to stop doing that, it was wrong to start
> with.  We (Pango, Qt, ICU, HarfBuzz) need someone with enough time and
> knowledge to study the current Indic shaper AND follow MS and Unicode
> happenings and maintaining/fixing the shaper.  So far I've not seen
> anyone on the horizon.

You just described something I'd enjoy doing, however, I just don't have
the time.

What we could do is get a group of people to oversee the changes to the
Indic module. Perhaps one or two people per Indic script? Already there
seems to be individuals interested who are familiar with Bengali and
Malayalam. And I definitely know the standards for Sinhala.

cya,
#