Re: input methods

Pablo Saratxaga <pablo mandrakesoft com> writes:

> Kaixo!
>
> On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 04:01:40PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > > Ok, so i tried the input methods in testtext.
> > > I found a problem with the visqr one.
>
> > > In visqr input you can type a thing like 'ecircumflex' by typing 'e'
> > > then 'asciicircum'.
> > >
> > > The problem is that on my keyboard the 'asciicircum' is at third position
> > > on a key, that is, I have to do AltGr-key to enter it.
>
> > This works fine for me, in fact, I do it all the time.
> >
> > e.g., with GtkIMContextSimple, I can enter ü as
> > <AltGR>{ + u     [ <AltGR>{ ==dead_diaeresis ]
>
> ü doesn't exist in Vietnamese :)
>
> Of course I can type compositions with dead keys; that is not the problem.
> The problem is with the Vietnamese input method 'visqr' in Gtk+, it is
> a sort of transliteration, for an ecircunflex you type 'e', then '^' (the
> plain ascii one, not the dead key).

The point I was trying to make was that, accent composition with dead
keys handled by almost exactly the same code path as accent
composition in Vietnamese.

Both are handled by the GtkIMContextSimple input method - the only
difference is the tables involved.

However, I can in fact reproduce it here, and I think I know the
problem - the input method is seeing

 E <AltGR> ^

Not E ^.

Just needs to ignore the AltGR (Actually Mode_Switch) key symbol
when doing composition processing. Which simply means adding it
to the gtk_compose_ignore[] array in gtkimcontextsimple.c

Thanks for catching this.