Re: Another --> Re: GtkMovementStep of GtkTextView

Kaixo!

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 03:32:03PM -0600, Mark Leisher wrote:

> So in the end, display and cursor motion are related to a point.

Thay sure are; cursor is visual concept (that is also why a special editing
mode "show all special and control chars" is needed, where the cursor
could be used to go from char to char (that is, related not to visual
but to encoding). in such mode maybe evne the ligatures should be
de-ligaturized...)

>   1. All clusters of characters that combine to make a single glyph are
>      treated as a single unit for cursor motion and deletion.
>
>   2. The exceptions to 1 include things such as the LAM-ALIF ligatures in the
>      Arabic script, Korean syllables, Vietnamese vowels, and Indic aksharas
>      (clusters) as they are being typed.

No, not Vietnamese vowels (where do you get that idea about Vietnamese? it
is just plain latin alphabet with some accents. it just has a special
input method very used in Vietnam, but the input method is not related
to the text (there are three special and popular input methods; and you
can even use standard dead keys composition, the result will be the same;
obviously the behaviour of BackSpace must be the same in all cases, unless
the BackSpace knows what the input is, that is, unless the BackSpace is
pressed during input. I mean, I can see an utility to have a special
behaviour for the BackSpace when inputing; think of it as the behaviour
of BackSpace in chinese or japanese XIM input method before validating:
it deletes the phonetic kana/bopomofo/latin letter last typed on input;
however, once validated, a backspace will delete the last ideograph,
because the info on the input stream has been lost, there is only the
stored char in the text.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga