Re: input methods

Kaixo!

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 04:01:40PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > Ok, so i tried the input methods in testtext.
> > I found a problem with the visqr one.

> > In visqr input you can type a thing like 'ecircumflex' by typing 'e'
> > then 'asciicircum'.
> >
> > The problem is that on my keyboard the 'asciicircum' is at third position
> > on a key, that is, I have to do AltGr-key to enter it.

> This works fine for me, in fact, I do it all the time.
>
> e.g., with GtkIMContextSimple, I can enter ü as
> <AltGR>{ + u     [ <AltGR>{ ==dead_diaeresis ]

ü doesn't exist in Vietnamese :)

Of course I can type compositions with dead keys; that is not the problem.
The problem is with the Vietnamese input method 'visqr' in Gtk+, it is
a sort of transliteration, for an ecircunflex you type 'e', then '^' (the
plain ascii one, not the dead key).
The problem is that, on my keyboard, '^' (asciicircum) is typed with
AltGr; it seems the visqr input method doesn't like it, that breaks the
input flow and I end with e^ (two different chars) instead of ê.

Note that it works for all special keys used by visqr method that are
accessible without Altgr: ( ' ? +
However, it doesn't work for: ^ `
that on my keyboard are on AltGr positions.

> Are you sure that the keysym you are getting is actually asciicircum,
> not, say, dead_circumflex?

Absolutely positive, look: ^
the problem is the AltGr.

And I wonder if similar problem won't hurt other transliteration methods too.

(I can also enter ê with dead_circumflex + e (but not in visqr input method,
I must switch to 'default'. where those compose sequences come from?
the X11 Compose files or is in Gtk+ internals?)

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.srtxg.easynet.be/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975