Re: releasing 1.9 soon...

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 11:15:32PM +0300, Stefan Kost wrote:
> I am giving up for tonight. jhbuild gives me a bunch of those:
>
>           echo '-- Installing ./html/index.sgml' ; \
>           /home/ensonic/bin/install-check -m 644 ./html/index.sgml
> /opt/gnome-svn/share/gtk-doc/html/gconf || :; \
>         fi
> -- Nothing to install
> gtkdoc-rebase --relative --destdir=
> --html-dir=/opt/gnome-svn/share/gtk-doc/html/gconf
> Unknown option: destdir
> Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
> /opt/gnome-svn/bin/gtkdoc-rebase line 211.
> Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
> /opt/gnome-svn/bin/gtkdoc-rebase line 211.
> Can't open HTML directory /opt/gnome-svn/share/gtk-doc/html/gconf/: File or
> Directory not found at /opt/gnome-svn/bin/gtkdoc-rebase line 227.
> make[3]: [install-data-local] Fehler 2 (ignored)
>
> basic problem is that the perl option parse does not like
>  "--destdir= --next-option"
> which is caused by empty DESTDIR. Before I add more crack to the rules, I go for
> a sleep. Suggestions are welcome :)

1) --destdir='$(DESTDIR)' or --destdir="$(DESTDIR)".
But then we have the SCAN_OPTIONS situation again if someone
quotes DESTDIR.  Incidentally, I see

  if test "x$(DESTDIR)" = "x"; then \

in the makefile, which suffers from the same problem.

And if it was there when you were performing the builds,
then I have no idea what's going on.

2) Use

  Getopt::Long qw(:config gnu_getopt);

to make Getopt::Long fully GNU getopt_long() compatible.  Or
at least :config gnu_compat to change the behaviour of empty
--opt=.

Note however, according to my Getopt::Long man page empty
--opt is either GNU compatible or gives an error.  So in no
case it should eat the next option; something strange is
going on here.

3) Change $DESTDIR style from option to an argument and run
it just

  gtkdoc-rebase OPTIONS... $DESTDIR

Although rebase has no non-option arguments so this would
work, it's quite ugly and I don't like it.

4) Change the ($DESTDIR, $DESTDIR$TARGET_DIR) pair of
directories to ($TARGET_DIR, $DESTDIR$TARGET_DIR), that are
always defined, and let rebase extract $DESTDIR.

Not very nice either.  Passing two competely unrelated
directories as --html-dir and --dest-dir is a bit weird,
nevertheless it makes some sense with --relative (I have
a staging area, but in a different place I'm installing this
particular documentation).  In the new pair one directory
would have to be the tail of another.

The only approach that could get my is 2), the rest is just
a dump of random ideas.

I don't know what is the cause of the Getopt::Long behaviour
in jhbuild though.

Yeti

--
http://gwyddion.net/