releasing 1.9 soon...

Following the gtk-devel discussion, if we want $SUBJ, things
concerning srcdir != builddir can be postponed IMO (it has
never worked properly anyway), and only the following should
be dealt with:
  enable template-free build
  I'll look at the xml cleaning.
  Doesn't rebuild the documentation when the .types file changes
  As suggesed, I would close as WONTFIX.
  1.8 makes make distcheck fail
  I would close as NOTABUG, but this is politics...
  G_CONST_RETURN * G_CONST_RETURN * function not picked up
  Simple and a patch is available.

That and the misguided --online option still present in

Then we should give it a good testing.