Re: releasing 1.9 soon...

Hi,

David Nečas (Yeti) wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 11:09:45PM +0300, Stefan Kost wrote:
>> I hope now all patches have been applied. I also added a target milestone to the
>> bug we fixed in this cycle.
>
> Please don't.  Bugzilla Target Milestone field is intended
> for open bugs -- to track what to get done in a particular
> version, timeframe, ...  Generally, it's a classification of
> when in the future the issue is expected to be resolved.
>
> (The stricter Gnome Target Milestone means that Gnome X.Y
> cannot be released until all open bugs with X.Y milestone
> are fixed.)

Well then our understanding differs here. If a bug is closed as a reporter I
would like to know which release will have the fix. In the case of libraries I
could e.g. add a configure check for that version and disable a workaround if
the user has a recent enough version.

>> This allow me to pull the buglist out of bugzilla
>> fro the release notes - sorry for the resulting spam.
>
> The list is incomplete anyway.  What about 322035, 383456,
> 445596, 450338, 465365, 466559?
>
> If you want to know bugs fixed since the last gtk-doc
> release, just ask bugzilla for it.

Exactly, therefore I use the field.

>> I have also created 1.10
>> target milestone, so please us that when closing bugs after the release.
>
> While 1.10 target milestone is a good idea, I'm going to
> mark bugs that should be fixed in 1.10 with it (e.g. the
> postponed VPATH stuff) because this is what this flag means.

How will the user then know that it actaully happend. Once we release 1.10 one
has to make a query to bugzilla to get all open bug with that target milestone
and either postpone the release or move that target-milestone to 1.11.

>> Next I'll try to see if the build.gnome.org could run build with snv-trunk
>> version of gtk-doc. If I have time I'll try a jhbuild of gnome-2.20 locally too.
>
> Considering interesting error messages vary wildly (from perl
> complaints such as `Use of uninitialized value...' to various
> WARNINGs to xsltproc messages), how we find them in the
> flood?

I am open to ideas here. Its more a sanity check that ensure that now build
aborts etc.

Stefan