Re: gtk-doc documentation

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 01:41, James Henstridge wrote:
> Damon Chaplin wrote:
>
> >Most of GNOME uses the GFDL so I don't think you should worry too much
> >about it. If you want to be a bit safer, you could recreate the docs
> >from scratch and add "(C) Gnome Foundation". Then it should be possible
> >to change the license later if GNOME policy changes (even if you
> >disappear!).
> >

> Please don't recommend that people do this.  It makes things a lot more
> difficult down the line.  I don't know of any countries where you can
> transfer copyright by just putting "(C) Gnome Foundation" at the top --
> it generally requires a contract, if it is possible at all (some
> countries just allow exclusive licensing of a copyright).
>
> All you end up with is incorrect copyright information, which makes it
> much more difficult to track down the copyright holders if we want to
> change the license in the future.

It isn't very difficult to track down the real copyright holders if we
really need to. We have cvs history, bugzilla, ChangeLogs, mailing list
archives etc.

The "(C) Gnome Foundation" was mainly to remind people working on the
docs that it is a GNOME project and the license will reflect GNOME
policy. So we can change the license without asking people and people
will almost certainly go along with it.

I think that's good enough, especially for the gtk-doc docs which aren't
that important. I wasn't recommending it for all docs.

Damon