Re: gtk-doc documentation

Damon Chaplin wrote:

It isn't very difficult to track down the real copyright holders if we
really need to. We have cvs history, bugzilla, ChangeLogs, mailing list
archives etc.
It's even easier to track them down if they are correctly identified in the document.

The "(C) Gnome Foundation" was mainly to remind people working on the
docs that it is a GNOME project and the license will reflect GNOME
policy. So we can change the license without asking people and people
will almost certainly go along with it.
The thing is that you can't legally change the license without the copyright holders' consent. Putting an incorrect "(C) Gnome Foundation" header on material not owned by the Gnome Foundation doesn't change that.

If you want the freedom to change the license later on, you either need to do a formal copyright assignment, or get people to agree to license their work to another party (eg. Gnome Foundation) under terms that allow that party to relicense it.

I think that's good enough, especially for the gtk-doc docs which aren't
that important. I wasn't recommending it for all docs.
It becomes a problem when people just copy what another project is doing. Soon you end up with lots of projects with incorrect copyright information.

James.