Re: Is GTK+ a cross-platform toolkit ?

hi;

you're operating under a bit of a misunderstanding, so I hope I can
clarify it for you: there is no way, for any of the people listed on
the website, to stop or prevent other developers to work on GTK on
different platforms. you also don't need any validation from any of
the people on that list if you want to package GTK on different
platforms — including Linux (it's not like packagers for Linux
distributions ask for our permission either).

the only thing that's required, by the license we use, is that any
change done to the source code is published under the same terms as
GTK. common courtesy (and what we obviously prefer so that everyone
benefits from those changes) would be to work upstream, if you make
changes that allow porting the toolkit and its stack, though it's not
strictly necessary. the MacOS port work has been recently folded back
upstream, instead of being hosted as a set of random patches; the work
for Windows has pretty much always been done upstream. these are
changes to the code, though; packaging is different, and usually
should not involve patches.

the Windows port discussion has always been derailed by the "we need
an installer" argument; while me *may* need a reference one, the whole
issue is simply orthogonal to the fact that we need reliable builds of
GTK and its stack, complete with some form of QA or smoketesting,
otherwise there won't ever be anything to distribute in the first
place. we can only fix the Windows code inside GLib and GTK (and
Pango, and Cairo, and Clutter, and whatever) if we actually can get it
tested first — otherwise we get notifications of bugs 9/12 months down
the line, when somebody decides to update their ad hoc build. for this
reason, ensuring that cross-compilation keeps working may be a
solution: at least, it would allow us to do continuous integration
like we do on Linux, these days. if people want Windows to be a
supported platform, QA should probably take the precedence on shipping
installer templates; on top of that, shipping DLLs that can be easily
dropped in an existing application in order to check for regressions
is a good step forward.

finally, and as an aside, the gtk website is tracked in bugzilla: if
you want something hosted on it, as well as changing its contents, you
should open a bug; we can obviously discuss it on the mailing list
first, but that's the process we use.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.