Re: Glib resource framework

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 2:43 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt metux de> wrote:

> Okay, we're talking about ways to deploy an arbitrary binary
> package (built somewhere else, fully out of the scope of the
> users's distro) to an arbitratry location.
>
> But: WHY ?
> What is the problem that should be solved by that ?

because this is the 21st century in which (1) applications consist of
more than a binary executable (2) users like
easy-to-install-and-remove programs (3) ISV's like ways to provide
users with easy-to-install-and-remove-programs (4) ISV's need to know
that the versions of the library they are linked against is the
correct one (5) applications written using C++ have a whole additional
set of problems, which i will not detail here (6) some ISVs do not
want their software to be primarily distributed by dozens of
per-distro packagers.

The splintering of linux into dozens of different distros, all with
their own particular foibles, means that its much easier to approach
things from a "bundle" perspective.