Re: Glib resource framework

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt metux de> wrote:
> * Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> schrieb:
>
>> > But: if the application bundle should be entirely self-contained,
>> > why using dynamic linking (of non-system-libaries) at all ?
>>
>> the GTK stack in particular cannot be statically linked (certainly not
>> without considerable effort).
>
> Why not, exactly ?

because quite a lot of GTK is dynamically loaded even if the basic
libraries themselves are statically linked. and because the entire
stack has a build system that pretty much assumes the the use case is
dynamic linkage. this could no doubt be changed but nobody has ever
stepped up to clean it up.

>> no, this is where defined APIs like the ones from freedesktop come in.
>
> You're assuming, any interaction between applications allowed is
> what's specified in that APIs.

if you want much more extensive integration, you're talking about
desktop environments and apps written specifically to tightly
integrate with them.

as an ISV, i'm not really that interested in such things. i don't
control nor do i want to control what DE's my users have, and i don't
want my app dependent on the sort of concepts that DEs are now moving
towards apart from a very limited common subset (e.g. presence in
standard lists of applications, icons).