Re: Glib resource framework

* Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> schrieb:

> >> the GTK stack in particular cannot be statically linked (certainly not
> >> without considerable effort).
> >
> > Why not, exactly ?
>
> because quite a lot of GTK is dynamically loaded even if the basic

what exactly is loaded dynamically, and why is the necessary ?

> libraries themselves are statically linked. and because the entire
> stack has a build system that pretty much assumes the the use case is
> dynamic linkage.

how exactly ?

> >> no, this is where defined APIs like the ones from freedesktop come in.
> >
> > You're assuming, any interaction between applications allowed is
> > what's specified in that APIs.
>
> if you want much more extensive integration, you're talking about
> desktop environments and apps written specifically to tightly
> integrate with them.

I'm not just talking about desktop integration.

What, eg., with integration with certain system resources,
daemons, system-wide configuration, etc, etc ?

> as an ISV, i'm not really that interested in such things. i don't
> control nor do i want to control what DE's my users have, and i don't
> want my app dependent on the sort of concepts that DEs are now moving
> towards apart from a very limited common subset (e.g. presence in
> standard lists of applications, icons).

Sure. Therefore you need some easy way for passing certain information
to the DE, take for example menu entries or desktop icons.

a) explicitly supporting a wide range of DE's, eg. by simply installing
   the necessary files to the DE's standard locations.
   -> build time issue, can be easily put into an separate build
      helper tool

b) have an extra system tool, which translates an abstract (DE-independ)
   source to the DE-specific files

c) convince the individual DE-developers to directly support
   such abstract descriptor files

But this doesn't really require things like binary relocation.
I'm still not conviced.

So, please let's go to the root questions:

What are the exact problems you're trying to solve with
binary relocation ? What are the desired use cases ?

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt metux de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666