Re: Minutes of the GTK+ IRC team meeting - 2010-05-04

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 11:18 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> I know you guys have been working on two separate approaches; can we
> please have some sort of discussion between both of of and come up with
> a sensible resolution to avoid duplication of effort? or, at least, work
> on a branch of gtk+ for each approach to see which one is the least
> intrusive.

Given Carlos' explanation, I think there is some overlap, but there are
also some things Carlos is proposing which I am not doing. I'm mostly
concentrating on the widget drawing API and loading appearance
information from a configuration file.

Generally though, I would actually also favour removing a lot of the
widget style properties and instead allowing the theme engine more
control over the widget appearance. Apart from simplifying test cases
for each widget, it would be useful to "native" themes that try and
emulate the appearance of other systems (e.g. Windows or OS X). At the
moment the Windows engine has to set a bunch of style properties using
gtk_rc_parse_string(), which is not a very elegant solution.

> Carlos has been reporting progress and answering questions during the
> IRC team meetings; Thomas: you should join next week and do the same.

Will do; apologies I couldn't make it this week.

Regards,

Thomas