Re: Minutes of the GTK+ IRC team meeting - 2010-05-04

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 09:14 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 23:19 +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
> > • GtkStyle sealing (garnacho)
> > - garnacho has been working on a GtkStyle replacement
> > - CSS and new API
> > - gtk_paint_* re-implemented on top of the style context
> > - GtkStyle should get sensible data filled from the CSS
> > - engines will have to change, but the API has been kept similar
> > - still needs changed
>
> Could Carlos give a bit more information about this?
>
> I'm still working on my own theme-engine API replacement, which can now
> load XML files (similar to SVG) to draw widgets. I think this is a
> better approach than using CSS because CSS is not a language designed
> for complex drawing. My approach is essentially a new library
> abstracting GtkStyle and providing a cairo based API that many toolkits
> could use. I have a compatibility engine so GTK+ 2.0 can take advantage
> of my API, and I'd like to work with the changes in GtkStyle so it can
> take advantage of an external library to draw widgets.

I know you guys have been working on two separate approaches; can we
please have some sort of discussion between both of of and come up with
a sensible resolution to avoid duplication of effort? or, at least, work
on a branch of gtk+ for each approach to see which one is the least
intrusive.

Carlos has been reporting progress and answering questions during the
IRC team meetings; Thomas: you should join next week and do the same.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
W: http://www.emmanuelebassi.name