Re: Widget states for 3.0 (and 2.18?)

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 14:21 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 07:46 -0500, Cody Russell wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Thomas Wood <thos gnome org> wrote:
> >         I think the current GTK+ states are correct as an enum. They
> >         are single
> >         user or application activatable states of which the widget
> >         cannot be in
> >         more than one state at once (normal, insensitive, active,
> >         prelight).
> >
> > But then we get workarounds for things like toggle/check/radio buttons
> > because we can't support active and prelight at the same time.  Not
> > all combinations of states make sense for different widgets, but I
> > think it's still a more sensible way to store the information.
>
> Why would you have active and prelight at the same time? The two states
> are mutually exclusive. One indicates the user is holding the mouse
> button down on a widget, the other indicates that the mouse is
> "hovering" over the widget.

What happens when you hover over a pressed-in togglebutton?

(As Matthias says, if you investigate the current GTK+ state types, once
you get beyond the trivial stuff things fall apart. I don't think you'll
find any rational reason that a scrollbar trough is drawn in the active
color, other than the active color is dark, and scrollbars needed
to be drawn dark.)

- Owen