Re: GZip{In,Out}putStream in GIO?

On Sat, 2009-08-15 at 10:07 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:
> > FWIW, Sugar uses zip quite extensively to bundle content and software
> > and we would love to move from using python's zipfile to something
> > glib-based.
>
> Why all this reinvent-the-wheel effort?  libgsf gives you access
> to zipfiles and is glib based right now.

Does libgsf use the GIO APIs?  Ideally, people should just
be able to write their programs to expect a GInputStream.
And then if some other library happens to be providing a
FooRot13InputStream, it doesn't matter.  I understand that
libgsf predates GIO considerably.

For my purposes, if I needed to deal with complicated
structured files, I'd certainly look to libgsf.  But all
I need to do is decompress a file and read it. Right now,
it took all of 231 lines of C to do it in Yelp, and most
of that is boilerplate.  It's just not worth an extra
dependency for me.

--
Shaun