Re: Minutes of the GTK+ Team Meeting - 2008-09-23

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 19:03 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 11:38 -0500, Mike Kestner wrote:
>
> > If the motivation for removing the types is that, "things aren't as
> > beautiful as they could be" then that argument doesn't really outweigh
> > the pain of porting existing code.  Especially when the cost of
> > supporting existing code is so low.
>
> I think the general problem is that if you have a box type that can
> change orientation on the fly, what type is it? A HBox or a Vbox?

Yes this is a problem, and this is exactly where the uploaded patches
are incomplete. Boxes, Separators, Paneds created with the old APIs
must not be flippable. We can't have a HPaned that is vertical.

"Old API" here is both the constructors gtk_hfoo_new() and
gtk_vfoo_new()
*and* the types as in g_object_new (GTK_TYPE_HFOO, NULL);

However this is easily fixable by having a "orientation-fixed" property
or something. I didn't want to bloat the patches in bugzilla with
that because in the middle of hacking all these set/get_orientation()
APIs it occured to me that this behavior should be abstracted in an
interface, which will be a follow-up commit to the stuff that is
attached to the bugs now.

ciao,
--mitch