Re: Theme patriation

Ysgrifennodd Allin Cottrell:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> > Who mentioned compiz?  This was about reasons not to run metacity.
>
> Nobody explicitly mentioned compiz, but when I followed up the
> link to cairo-clock which I was offered (and which I reproduced in
> my posting) it turned out that compiz was required for running
> that app.

No, http://macslow.thepimp.net/?page_id=23 says:

What's needed in order to run?
 [...]
 * a compositing-manager (e.g. compiz)

And Metacity is a compositing manager.

> As I mentioned before, I can run xclock without window decorations
> just fine under Sawfish, but not under Metacity -- that's the
> relevance to this thread.  (That is, if you want a functional
> desktop analog clock: forget it, if you're running gnome with
> Metacity.)

I got that bit, but someone said "Oh, run cairo-clock", and you said "I
can't, I don't want to run Compiz".  But you can run cairo-clock under
Metacity just fine.

Thomas

--
Thomas Thurman, tthurman at gnome, http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman
You are in a magnificent cavern with a rushing stream, which cascades over a sparkling waterfall into a roaring whirlpool which disappears through a hole in the floor. Passages exit to the south and west.