Re: Theme patriation

Ysgrifennodd Allin Cottrell:
> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > Did you try cairo-clock ?
> > http://macslow.thepimp.net/?page_id=23
>
> Disclaimer: I'm an old fart and a grouch.  But I really, really
> don't want to have to run compiz just to get an analog clock! I
> want my CPU cycles to be available for computations I'm interested
> in.

Who mentioned compiz?  This was about reasons not to run metacity.

> > You should use Devil's Pie for that:
> > http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie
>
> Looks interesting, though if devil's pie is third party, it looks
> as if you need a fourth party app to provide a GUI for devil's
> pie.  Sawfish does all this, with GUI, in one WM.

There is in fact such a program, gdevilspie.  The reason Metacity does
not do what devilspie does is: 1) modularity, since it can be done in a
separate process; and 2) there really is no good way to do it in general
(see the rest of this thread, passim).

Thomas

--
Thomas Thurman, tthurman at gnome, http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman