Re: Theme patriation

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Thomas Thurman wrote:

> Ysgrifennodd Allin Cottrell:
> > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > > Did you try cairo-clock ?
> > > http://macslow.thepimp.net/?page_id=23
> >
> > Disclaimer: I'm an old fart and a grouch.  But I really, really
> > don't want to have to run compiz just to get an analog clock! I
> > want my CPU cycles to be available for computations I'm interested
> > in.
>
> Who mentioned compiz?  This was about reasons not to run metacity.

Nobody explicitly mentioned compiz, but when I followed up the
link to cairo-clock which I was offered (and which I reproduced in
my posting) it turned out that compiz was required for running
that app.

As I mentioned before, I can run xclock without window decorations
just fine under Sawfish, but not under Metacity -- that's the
relevance to this thread.  (That is, if you want a functional
desktop analog clock: forget it, if you're running gnome with
Metacity.)

Allin Cottrell