Re: Theming API hackfest: last call

Am Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:30:38 +0200
schrieb "Robert Staudinger" <robert staudinger gmail com>:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Shouldn't the class-specific ones use the css class modifier?  That
> > is, ".GtkButton"?
>
> Per libccss default, the style of a type "Foo" is also applied to all
> its derived types (contrast gtkrc, which afaik requires explicit
> markup "<Foo>" for that). QT is using the class selector to apply
> styling that would not be inherited [2], e.g. ".GtkButton { ... }"
> would not affect GtkToggleButton instances and other GtkButton-derived
> types. I am pondering this for the CSS engine as well.

Sounds like it would make subclassing kind of hard, if I understand you
right. For instance people like to subclass to create all sorts of
buttons and it is only intuitive that they all look similar. What would
happen to my hypothetical ExampleSelectColorButton if the GtkButton
styles are not applied to it?

ciao,
    Christian