Re: GTK+ maintenance

On Wed, 2007-05-23 at 14:57 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
[...]
> I'm not exactly sure what you want the board to consider. The plan is
> not "let companies develop GTK+ and hope everything will go well", but
> "tell companies that if they want a better GTK+, this is what they
> should do".
>
> Maybe your point is that we shouldn't just dismiss the "Foundation
> should hire someone" option. The board is exploring various ways to help
> the GTK+ developer community, and we're not rejecting this option. It is
> still on the list, but, as it was already pointed out, it comes with
> some issues.
>
> Also note that it's not clear to me if most GTK+ developers want the
> Foundation to hire someone or not.

Hi Vincent,
    None of that is clear to me either, I was really just trying
to bring some points that struck me as relevent to light, and yes I dont
think that the possibility of hiring somebody should be dissmissed
(and thankyou for clarifying that you are taking it into consideration).

The simple fact, outlined clearly by Tim's mail[1] (which originally
caught my attention), is that more secondary contributors and patch
flood is not really going to help the state of affairs; we need more
people playing central roles in gtk+ development and maintainership.

The GtkTasks[2] initiative is a great start IMO, its yet to be seen
if that initiative alone will give us the structure needed to get
gtk+ properly refactored and new features properly reviewed in
reasonable timeframes.

Cheers,
                    -Tristan

[1]http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2007-March/msg00122.html