Re: GTK+ maintenance

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 22:29 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 01:08:10AM +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
[...]
> Some comparison...
>
> http://www.trolltech.com/company
> "Trolltech is a software company with two product lines: Qt and Qtopia.
>  We currently have 200 employees working at offices worldwide."
>
> This includes a lot of other things (you only want Qt devs), but
> still... 200 vs 2 / 8?

This is not representative of anything.

Before I go running my trap I'll note that I am not a gtk+ maintainer so
I am not qualified to answer Vincent's query, but it should be noted
that people writing patches for gtk+ are in no way lacking - this is a
very popular project and has attracted alot of attention.

Its been clearly stated that core maintainers are whats lacking, people
that can be trusted to review large patches, do refactoring work and
call shots so to speak, in my own personal opinion I think gtk+ could do
fine with 2 extra Mattias Clasens or 2 more Tim Janiks, the question is;
where are these experienced people to be found ?

Will the foundation be considering hiring people from the gnome
community ? (I would suppose so...) will there be location constraints
(will developers have to move) ? will developers have to well known
and trusted or will they have to be highly decorated ? (a healty mix
of either/or/both I suppose...)

Those kind of answers will also narrow down the possibilities of finding
qualified people to be core maintainers of gtk+.

Cheers,
               -Tristan