Re: GTK+ maintenance

Hi,

Le mardi 15 mai 2007, à 16:53 -0400, Tristan Van Berkom a écrit :
> Its been clearly stated that core maintainers are whats lacking, people
> that can be trusted to review large patches, do refactoring work and
> call shots so to speak, in my own personal opinion I think gtk+ could do
> fine with 2 extra Mattias Clasens or 2 more Tim Janiks, the question is;
> where are these experienced people to be found ?

Well, if they don't exist, we can try to grow some of them :-)

> Will the foundation be considering hiring people from the gnome
> community ? (I would suppose so...) will there be location constraints
> (will developers have to move) ? will developers have to well known
> and trusted or will they have to be highly decorated ? (a healty mix
> of either/or/both I suppose...)

So, right now, the Board is not considering the option of hiring people
to hack/do technical things. I'm not saying "we'll never do this", but
doing this has a lot of implications (managing the employees wouldn't be
easy, people could start thinking that there's no need to contribute to
GTK+ since the GNOME Foundation has developers for this, etc.), and we'd
prefer to explore other ways to fix the issue first.

For example, a lot of companies do have an interest in GTK+ but are not
actively participating upstream. I've been in contact with some of them
to see if they could get some of their developers to freely work on
upstream as part of their job. People have been open about this idea,
but I'm sure we could come with better arguments to really convince
them.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.