Re: Shipping multiple themes by default (Was: Sudden Tango changes in trunk)

On Tue, May 22, 2007, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Would it be difficult to ship multiple themes by default, for example
> > "legacy" and "tango" (and perhaps "qt" and "metal" themes in the
> > future?); the default theme could be selected at build time and the
> > default default could be set to "tango" for win32 and win32 only.
> How is that different from what existing theme engine, icon theme and
> theme packages provide today ? (...other than shifting additional
> maintenance burden on the GTK+ team)

 It would be possible at the distribution level and with the existing
 infrastructure, but the context of the proposal was that people were
 standing against the icon update because it might break the legacy
 uses, and people were standing in favor of the icon update because it
 would mean nicer icons under Win32.  My proposal simply tried to map
 the two, by allowing Gtk to ship multiple icon themes, and let the
 distributor build one from the list, or default to a non-legacy one for
 Win32.

--
Loïc Minier