Re: [gtk-devel-list] Design decisions for GLib and GTK+ on Win32

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 10:01:20 +0300
Tor Lillqvist <tml iki fi> wrote:
>mpsuzuki hiroshima-u ac jp writes:
> > Could we restrict pango to use Uniscribe as simple left-to-right
> > text rendering?
>
>Why would we want to do that, when Uniscribe handles all the issues of
>complex scripts, without Pango having to do anything special?  (And
>rendering Arabic script is not simple.)

I was thinking of following case:

* my WindowsXP has old usp10.dll which does not support
  a few Indic scripts like Khmer, Myanmar, etc. Or, my
  OpenType fonts are incompatible with Uniscribe. However,
  fontconfig-based text layout system works well.

* most of scripts are supported well by old usp10.dll and
  fonts bundled to WindowsXP.

* as a result, I want to render most scripts by Unicode
  (inc. Arabic, Hebrew, etc), but I want to render a few
  exceptional scripts by fontconfig-based renderer in Pango.

Is it possible to configure the text layout engine for each
script, when Uniscribe is used by default?

Regards,
mpsuzuki