Re: GtkSheet

On Wed, 2002-03-13 at 13:26, Joel Becker wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:54:33PM -0500, Cody Russell wrote:
> > Alternatively, a runtime method could be used wherein widget collections
> > are loaded with GModule, and gtk_init() could be told what modules to
> > preload at startup to save time later on.
>
> 	GTK+ is already a large set of dependancies and files.  I'm not
> saying it shouldn't be as it is.  There are very good reasons why pango
> and input and pixbuf have sub-modules.  But I don't think we should add
> tons of modules where we really require them all anyway.
> 	Consider Mozilla.  It has >100 shared libraries.  It loads most
> of them at all times.  This is a noticable impact on start time due to
> all the file seeking and relocation work.  Again, they have reasons, and
> since I don't know them all, I'm not going to blindly debate them here.
> However, we should consider these issues before GTK+ becomes
> libgtkobject.so, libgtkwidget.so, libgtkwindow.so, ...

Yes, you're right.  That's why I thought to write "collections of
widgets", and were this runtime method to be used it would probably have
to be organized more logically than "each widget gets its own module",
because that would be insanity.  But core functional things like
GtkWidget, GtkWindow, GtkContainer and such would not need modules.  But
perhaps have a module for GtkTreeModel/GtkTreeView/GtkCellRenderer, a
module for GtkTextView and related things.

Then again, for embedded stuff developers may really want to cut out
every single thing that they're not actually using, so they would need
finer control over things.  In which case, the only good solutions may
be to complicate the build system or to say, "You've got the source, do
with it what thou wilt."