Re: GtkSheet

Cody Russell <bratsche gnome org> writes:

> Does a GtkSheet widget really make sense for GTK+ distribution?  It
> seems like a cool widget, but it doesn't seem to me like one that would
> be very commonly used or useful to a vast number of applications.   It
> seems sensible to me that GTK+ should take the same sort of position as
> Glib with regards to having widgets and other things added.  Should GTK+
> be in the business of providing as complete as possible of a widget set,
> or should it be in the business of as useful as possible of a widget set
> for the majority of applications?

Most toolkits have the sheet widget thing. It's pretty useful in lots
of in-house one-off type of apps, and people use GTK for that a lot.
Imagine apps that display different kinds of data such as prices
or whatever. But as I said it's sort of low priority, and I think it
should be a pretty underengineered/small widget.

My feeling is that the remaining dozen or so widgets needed to make
GTK have all the commonly-requested widgets is going to add maybe 100K
or 200K to the library; given our current size we may as well be
complete.

Havoc