Re: libglade frustration redux - back away from the keyboard

Geraldi,

I take notice of the following comment.   "I give up!  I throw in the
towel".  This is certainly your option, but I will tell you that your
experience with libglade is typical for persons who approach programming
the wrong way.  Let me suggest an alternative that WILL yield different
and better results.

First, this gtk application developers mailing list is monitored by some
of the original authors of gtk and many many developers who have
acquired a significant level of skill.  Collectively we can help anyone
with a programming problem, and as you have seen from the rambling  of
this thread - we clearly have opinions.  Let break this un-productive
cycle and fix something.

What your programing problem?  I assume you have a small outline, maybe
the first steps.  Post them and I will send you back a working GTK
sample which you can use to get started; and ask clarification questions
based on a working sample.

It seems you have be pointed to a wealth of resources related to GTK and
LibGlade.  Ignore libglade for the moment, lets focus on GTK for now.
Also, a great development information tool for GTK is 'DevHelp', most
destro's include by default.  I personally use 'Eclipse' as my
development IDE with the CDT plugin.  Fedora Core 5/6 include these two
tools by defaults.   Also, have a look as some of the source code I
share from this website "http://mysite.verizon.net/skoona/index.html";.
Nothing special, but it may give you ideal on how to organize your
questions and ideals.  Here is one book I found very useful for
reference and learning GTK: "The official GNOME2 Developers Guide" and
the GTK tutorial, installed with GTK already on your machine; look for
"/usr/share/doc/gtk2-devel-2.10.8/tutorial/book1.html" in your
filesystem.

There are a few 'AH' 'HA' moments that you must
acquire/experience/endure related to event programming;  but they are
neither hard nor complex - just some basic rules to follow when
organizing your code.

I will help, and I know others will help answer questions related to GTK
programing.  How can we help you?

James Scott, Jr.
Registered Linux User #270764
FC6 on Dual AMD-MP 2400+