Re: libglade frustration redux

On Saturday 17 February 2007 12:16 pm, you wrote:
Gerald I. Evenden wrote on 02/17/2007 05:49 PM:
On line 72 in module main there is a reference to function
g_signal_connect. I cannot find any reference to this entry in the index

Have you tried typing "g_signal_connect site:developer.gnome.org" into
Google and clicking on "I'm Feeling Lucky"?  This is what everybody has
been telling you: the information is there, and it's not hard to find;
you need to make just a little bit more effort.

Ferenc

LOL

I give up!  I throw in the towel.

I am sorry I have bothered y'all but this experience has demonstrated to me
how one can become completely overwhelmed by the complexity of a system.

Not only is one inundated with a zillion identifiers and terse documentation
but also magic potions for locating the spartan information.

As for effort, I think I have payed reasonable dues in trying to run down
information.  What is overwhelming is the fact that the number of paths one
has to search is large and it is difficult to know which one to follow.  It
would have helped to have a master index at the top of the documentation
tree.

A long time ago I did a relatively simple GUI to display cartographic map
information using the Athena widgets.  I thought they were a little
complicated but I managed to get the first draft done in a couple of weeks
and polished the whole thing within a month.  Granted the Athena display was
a little primative but it did work and did not take 21 days to learn the
basics (as one book on GTK+ suggests).

Since then I stayed with command line projects and simple libraries like gsl,
etc. where the documentation was fairly complete and any additional
information was readily available in any halfass math library.

One thing that did attract me to this system was glade which nicely handles
the layout aspects and callback issues.  But it obviously does not go far
enough.

I'll give a look at Tcl/Tk but I am not aware of a glade equivalent for that
system.  Otherwise I will fall back on ncurses.

Again, thanks for your time and comments.
-- Havelock Ellis (1859-1939)  British psychologist