Re: Static linking in GTK Windows

Michael Torrie  wrote:

Does the above mean that there is no practical way to distribute
a single .exe file and expect it to run on the user's computer?

That is correct.  There are very few apps that distribute for windows in
one exe (you're not talking an installer, but the app itself, right?).
You can simply wrap up your app's files in a nice installer/uninstaller
setup.exe file.

I haven't tried it yet by myself, but wouldn't there be a way to link all
(required) .o(bj) files of GTK+ into a .exe to make it distributable as a
single file? The .o(bj) files should be obtainable by manually compiling
GTK+ on Windows. I suppose this would require moderate to massive extra
manual effort but isn't that a working way at all?

I agree with Roger that "setup.exe"s which install / extract their
contents as tons of files at the customer's harddisks are not acceptable /
desirable in some situations. I would rather put some more effort in
building a completely static binary in a non-standard way, if it's
possible at all. Is it?